As goal-oriented successful professionals, we all get a thrill from achieving our goals. And once one goal is achieved, or one task is complete, we tend to move too quickly onto the next.. and the next… and the next!
I’d like to invite you to take some time out to reflect on what you have accomplished to date and celebrate your career successes, no matter how small. Why? Naturally, we all have a habit of focusing on what has gone wrong – instead of focusing on what has gone right. Reflecting on our own successes, and applauding our hard work not only increases our motivation, it also builds confidence and our personal sense of pride. It helps us quash our inner critics with real objective evidence of how much we have learnt and grown over the past year, while giving us the opportunity to gain clarity on the direction we want to take going forward.
The new year is a great opportunity to do this. So, I encourage you to set aside some time to work through the following two steps. Use the free editable workbook below to write down your thoughts and learnings.
STEP 1) Make a list of everything you have achieved in 2020 year using these questions:
- What were your biggest achievements last year?
- What are you most proud of?
- What did you achieve that surprised you?
- What ‘smaller’ goals, or less obvious things, are you proud of achieving last year?
- What steps did you takes towards your life goals?
- What did you fail at, or what mistake did you make, that need recognising?
- What did you learn from this, and what are you proud of in how you handled that mistake?
- What will you do to celebrate, recognise and acknowledge your achievements?
- What are you most excited about for the coming year (if you haven’t yet, then you may want to start working on your goals)
- What could be your biggest challenge in the upcoming year?
STEP 2) Now decide how you will celebrate your success:
The second step is to actually celebrate your success, and have some fun doing it. I know this could be a tad challenging given the current lockdown, however, get creative – you could have a lovely indoor dinner date with your partner, or treat yourself to something special that you would have otherwise put off till your next birthday.
Just remember, every successes you had, no matter how small, was a huge win given how terrible 2020 was for the world. So give yourself credit. You deserve it!